About Me


I'm a 20-something in the midst of post-academia life exploration and time travel. Here in this blog I hope to share thoughts, hobbies, travels, and photos for personal reflection and for those who are interested.
[
Linear Cowboy is an anagram for Carolyn Bowie; thanks to my friend Berit for that one.]

Postings by category

Monday, December 8, 2014

Food Love


People who love to eat are always the best people.
Julia Child

I often make experimental food. Making a soup means jabbing my hands into drawers for unrelated spices and refrigerator shelves to grab condiments, then tossing what may appear to be unpalatable combinations into a blossoming, vulnerable broth. Guy nervously watches me work but has learned to trust me over the years. The stock pot is a blank pallet for my imaginative masterpiece. There have been failures, but they are greatly outnumbered by winners! When it comes to cooking, my deepest gratification comes from making the healthiest version of a delicious treat.

Food Competitions
Yes. I competitively create food and win. I'm on fire and in the midst of a winning streak, having won four out of four competitions I've entered. The secret to my success: dedicated chef assistants and entering low-risk/low-expectation events.


Thoughts for Food
Eating is the most intimate thing we do, every day, multiple times a day. We take an object from our external environment and ingest it so that bodies can integrate its nutrition to grow and function. Food makes up your body; you are your food. I try my best to apply a critical lens to what I put in my mouth and consider the ethics, environmental impact, and nutrition within. Let's face it, a cheeto is a synthetic, chemically derived substrate designed to imitate a food-like experience. Ofcourse, these delightful pre-packaged foods surround us almost always. Ultimately what matters is a person's lifestyle and the decisions they make most days - exceptions and treats are awesome & food is at its best when it can be shared.

Photo Time
Just a few yummy things made with & for friends and family.

Fried tofu on a bed of massaged kale salad with maple syrup Thai-ish peanut sauce.
First place in maple syrup cooking competition!!


Flying dinosaur xmas cookies


Lemon Lavender cookies with Katie G!

Classic homemade sushi

Dill pickle canning party with Jennifer Goodhart!
 
A gloriously thick, gelatinous mother scoby for Kombucha brewing.

Dehydrated apple slices


Jello pranking: not for consumption...


Peach blueberry cobbler with phyllo dough and toasted walnuts,
and a side of coconut whipped cream. YESS! 

No cooking required: summer bliss.


Lavender shortbread cookies with cream cheese frosting
and farmer's market strawberries

Carrot cake jam. Award winning at the Crossroads farmers market Jam competition!
(Made with pineapple, pears, cinnamon & spice, and carrots)

Herby bread

Friendsgiving Vegan pumpkin pie! nice.


White Russians with homemade Kahlua!
Bite sized phyllo dough cups with homemade marzcapone cheese, carrot cake jam, and a slice of fresh basil.
First place at the Bellevue Utilities dessert competition!













No comments:

Post a Comment